May 24, 2010

Sa-woooooooooon!


Link
Was it so long ago (the 80's?), when AMC network used to be known as American Movie Classics? They showed nothing but vintage films. And they introduced me to the world of real classics, the GOOD stuff. And of these there were quite a few film makers and stars whom were featured recurrently, too. I devoured it all: Hitchcock, Anthony Quinn, William Holden, Steve McQueen, Natalie Wood...

One night I tuned into the Boy on a Dolphin (1957) with a promising new starlet by the name of Sophia Loren....

I watched a lot of Sophia Loren after that :)

5 comments:

Carole said...

Sophia and Marilyn came into their own at a time when women were still allowed to look like women and weren't expected to be toothpicks.

Both beautiful women, even by today's skewed standards (imo).

Sassy Lassies Vintage Life said...

I am a heterosexual woman and she makes ME Sa--wooooonnn!!!

melina bee said...

she is my hero! I am both of mediterranean heritage and into the 50s so you can imagine what Sophia does for me. I even want to write a book all about how her life story gave me my first taste of self-esteem (or just installments of it on my blog eventually).

Space Commander said...

All true Carole!

LoL Sassy!!!

Sophia has the whole package. Of course she has the look, she has class, self reliance, and an incredible ability to portray a role so that she makes you forget that she's actually acting.

Melina, if you write it, I'll read it! :)

chandlerguera said...

Love her! I bought a vintage Italian magazine, featuring Sophia on the cover (found it in Florence for one euro), took it home and had it professionally framed. What a cool "work of art" on my wall -- she's such a beauty.

Related Posts with Thumbnails