July 8, 2010

North By Northwest - the VanDamm Residence


I've always loved this bit of mid-century fantasy architecture that Hollywood created for the Alfred Hitchcock thriller "North by Northwest" in 1959. When I think of the movie, I think of this wonderful home situated in the Black Hills of South Dakota. I don't know if anything can come any closer to being the epitome of MCM design.

The above still needs to be viewed in full screen to be properly appreciated. Look at the concept of blending the structure in with the landscape... the low, long flowing lines... the floating, gravity-defying living area levitated over the canyon drop-off... floor to ceiling windows everywhere... all elements popularized in 50's modern architecture. That's atomic living.

As for me? I wouldn't want to live there, as much as I love the scenic Black Hills... but having a good hunk of my home clinging from a drop-off?? That would wear on my acrophobic nerves to no end :P ...Yet it sure is inspiring to admire it's style!

4 comments:

Straight Talking Mama! said...

LOVE this house, it's made for looking cool and drinking cocktails in!

Carole said...

Much like John Lautner's Chemosphere House. Fascinating to look at, but I wouldn't want to live there (especially hanging off the side of a cliff in LA)!

Space Commander said...

It'd be interesting to know if anyone actually built a home inspired by this one... It's too cool not to have been!

But definitely not around LA LoL

MoonDoggie said...

How did I miss this post?
The house is absolutely stunning.

Related Posts with Thumbnails